Saturday, November 3, 2012

Thankful Tree!

"In everything, give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Last year I saw this idea over at this adorable blog!  I tucked the idea away, and this year, Tucker and I made our own Thankful Tree!!!  I got my supplies at Dollar Tree for $2!!!!

During our bedtime prayers, we have been asking Tucker who he'd like to pray for.  Surprisingly, he comes up with people to pray for, sometimes people he has seen that day, and others who are a bit more random!

As Tucker and I have talked about our tree the last few days, the I have realized that the idea of "thankfulness" is not something he easily understands.  I have tried to explain it in the most basic of ways, but I am most successful when I say, "who would you like to pray for?!"  I know he is still young, but we can never start too early!!!




Ok, onto our tree!!!! Dollar Tree has rolls of brown butcher paper that I drew a tree on with a crayon!  Then, I cut it out and taped it to the closet door.

Once it was up, I let Tucker color it a bit more...without coloring the door ;)


Coloring is fun! :)
All done coloring!
Next, Tucker said who he was thankful for, and we wrote them on our leaves...also from Dollar Tree!!!
And, he got to put them on his tree!!!  By the time November is over, we will have a beautiful, plush, Thankful Tree!!!
Also, please let me know if you have any suggestions on how to explain being thankful to small children!!! :)

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

We're doing the same thing this year, except our tree is sad in comparison, blog pictures to come. I love this idea and think the only way to teach a child to be thankful is to be an example of thankfulness, very difficult, we struggle with this often with the boys!

Erin said...

I love all of these thankful trees--such a good idea!! Tucker is adorable. :)