Thursday, February 16, 2012

1st real boy day

Today was my first real boy day with Tucker, and I was completely unprepared!
He has been wanting to play outside ("side") for a while, but it's been too cold. Today was a bit warmer and the sun was out, so I thought we'd play out front like we did last summer.
I bundled him up, brought a few toys, and headed to the porch. This boy had other plans!
As soon as he got off the porch, he headed for the sidewalk and off we went!!! I thought"well, we'll just turn around in a bit and come back."
Oh no!!! He knew exactly where he wanted to go!!! We trucked all the way down the street, chanting "go, go, go!" (him, not me) the whole way!!!! As we turned the corner and the park was in view, he picked up his already speedy pace!!
We played on the swing, ran around the play ground, climbed up the rock wall and went down the slide. then it hit me.
I was on my very first adventure with my son, and I was totally unprepared!!!
I always thought that I would create our first adventure- set things up, initiate a hunt, dig in the backyard!
But no. Here I was in leggings, a belted shirt, my fancy uggs and a pink coat, following my son around as he ran through the grass, picked up sticks and explored. It was completely unexpected, and I loved it. I got down and dirty with him as I stepped in muddy puddles, got dirt on my butt and slid down the slide into water.
It was cold, but we had fun. He marched independently home, sing "go, go, go" and pointing and saying "sky.". It was perfect.
He was less than thrilled to reenter our cozy home, but I am looking forward to our next adventure. :)

2 comments:

Kendall said...

How exciting!! What an adventurer that boy!! Our sons have alot to teach us about those "man skills" of off roading, puddle hopping, and mud eating :) So proud of his bravery and enthusiasm!

Erin said...

How fun! And how wise of you to shuck your plans and just go exploring with your boy. Memories you won't soon forget!