Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Decluttering

While I was out of commission for 2 weeks, my parents had to come take care of me while Andy was at work :/ Although I was over joyed to have them there, I was a bit embarrassed to have them see our house. Andy and I have not been the best at keeping the house picked up, especially with our busy schedule, which probably caused me to get sick. We try to keep the downstairs picked up in case anyone pops by (which we welcome, by the way!), but unfortunately that meant that our room was the throwing area for all "miscelaneous" items that didn't have a home.

The first day that I was too sick to move at all, my dad came over. Dad has always been great at taking care of us when we were sick because of his calm demenor and overall knowledge of how to make us get better. Dad is also very organized. He is too sweet to ever comment on the state of my home, but I knew instantly that when he came to check on me and asked me where certain cups went that he was trying to clean the kitchen. Due to a lack of voice and energy to speak more than a few words, I couldn't speak my appologies and pleas not to tackle the mess that had become my kitchen.

The next day, Mom was on Kel duty. Bright and early she showed up with her Mom Bag of goodies, such as Gatorade, soup, and some chocolate :) She was concerned with my fever, and if I was forcing fluids or not. Once she was sure that I was hydrated and resting soundly, she too went to work on my house. What dad had not mentioned the day before was the face that our room was barely visible. I think it was a task too overwhelming to him, and he didn't want to disrupt my sleep. Mom, however, saw the sea of clothes, and as all good Moms do, went to work to help her daughter.

I too ashamed to paint this picture for you, but let's just say, it was not a pretty picture. While in and out of conciousness, I saw mom carrying loads and loads and more loads of laundry out into the hall to the laundry room. She didn't say much, just picked things up. By that afternoon, my room was a whole new place! The following day, she gave me a few tips to help me keep up with my clutter. We went through all of my drawers and my whole closet, and got rid of anything I didn't need ( I had A LOT of socks!), or hadn't worn recently. We sent 5 trash bags to Goodwill!!!! In my weak state, I encouraged my husband to do the same, although he was a little less enthusiastic about the whole ordeal. He still humored me, though, and we donated about 3-4 bags of his stuff as well!!!

Since then we have made it our goal to do our laundry once a week, and clean up after cooking EVERY time! Our room has been consistantly picked up every day since Mom and Dad left. I feel a little embarrased to coment on how messy my house is, but I think this is more common than I think, especially with busy working people!

I tell you all this because Oprah had Peter Walsh and his decluttering team on today!!! The visited homes and cars across America, and helped them declutter their homes! Here are some of the tips that I remember from the show:
*Throw away any trash or items that you don't need or want any more.
* Organize like items into containers, and sell or donate any duplicates or items you don't need.
*Flat surfaces, such as tables and countertops, are not storage places, so they should not have
random items on them.
*Organize your space into Zones, such as for food, books, clothes, craft supplies...
* Take 10 minutes at the end of each day to organize, and put everything in it's place.

You can check out Oprah's site for more info!!

9 comments:

Annikke said...

Just tell yourself that you were so out of it that really your mom only carried ONE load of laundry .... your vision was messed up too and you had double vision or something! hee hee ;-)

My mommy doesn't live close enough, so once when I was sick I got my Mother in law -- whom I adore, but I can take the embarrassment of my dirty house with my mom, but my husband's mom -- EEKKK!!! (I'm over that horror now, but it was traumatic then!)

Anonymous said...

I'm the same way. I don't want to spend my evenings after work picking up and then I sure don't want to do it on the weekends either. I agree with you, just do it as you go.

Unknown said...

Good luck I am trying to work on it myself check out it what I posted about today too. Glad you are feeling better!

Anonymous said...

Kudos to you and Andy for continuing to work faithfully to order and clean. A grateful heart always helps...Praising God for the blessing of home, floors, applicances, etc. That always helps me to "get over my 'Oh NO it's cleaning day" blues.

Also, though you failed to mention...CONGRATULATIONS to ANDY!!!! He lost 11 LBS. last week! We have our own Biggest Loser before our very eyes... a very handsome one at that! See... they can't have him on TV...he would put the other contestants to shame! Yeah, he would!

Keep up the grand work of cleaning! Love mom oxoxoxoxo

The Shillingburg's said...

I'm right there with you girl. I had to stay home today from work just to get the house at least sanitary. :) The dishes are still in the sink, but I'm getting there. We are just always so busy on weekends that we don't have time to do it. Anywho....it is much more common. :) Don't be embarrassed.

Tara Smith said...

Just wait - it gets even dirtier and harder to clean when you add kids! HA! We did get your gift today and Alyssa went straight for the hat and put it on her head! She told me to tell you & Andy Thank You!!! :)

Anonymous said...

great tips! when you follow them daily, things are easier to clean up becuase it only takes a few mintues. its when its too big and messy that there's not enough time to do it. yah for super mom and dad!

Anonymous said...

Oh how exciting! I LOVE decluttering! so fun adn you have such a sense of accomplishment when you are finished!! sorry you were sick! no fun at all.

melanie said...

i have been decluttering and giving away for 2 years now. there is more and more going out my door.....love it. someone else can use my junk and it so much less for me to clean. and yikes there is still so much stuff!

i believe a whole house could be set up with what i've hauled out of here