Thursday, July 3, 2008

Summer Fun!

Andy built steps on the deck! Sookie and I greatly appreciate the graduate steps down :)
Here's Andy on our $5 bikes!
I just wanted to show that we do clean up nice! This is right before our Date Night to Olive Garden!
I made sugar cookies for our desserts for the Symphony on the Prarie tomorrow night! This has been a long time tradition for our family, and we look forward to it every year! We spend Friday getting the fried chicken, potatoe and macoroni salad, baked beans, and dessert, then we head to Conner Prarie and bring our wagon load of "good" to our table. Before the music starts, we enjoy our delicious picnic spread. After the delightful music, the evening is topped of with a fireworks display to the patriotic tunes! It is ALWAYS a fun time, and we can't wait!
This year, all the girls are bringing a seperate dessert. These are mine!

Finally, I thought I'd share the Fajita recipe that I raved about for those of you who would like to try it! We are making it again tonight when Tom and Sarah come over, and hopefully it will be a hit again! I will try to remember to take a picture of the finished product as well so you can see how appetizing it looks!


Big Robby's Almost-Famous Skillet Fajitas


2 whole-wheat flour, low-carb, tortillas (7 1/2" diameter)
1/2 medium onion, cut into strips
1 large red or yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
1/2 large jalapeno chile pepper, minced
1/2 medium zucchini, cut into strips
1 1/2 teaspoons crushed garlic
1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed or visible fat and cut into strips
1/2 cup salsa, drained if watery
low-fat cheese, fat-free sour cream, and/or avocado, to taste (optional)


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Stack the tortillas on a large sheet of aluminum foil. Roll the foil into a tube enclosing the tortillas. seal the ends. Set aside.


Lightly mist a large nonstick skillet with olive oil spray. Set over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, chile pepper, zucchini, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the onion is lightly browned. Transfer the vegetables to a plate. Cover to keep warm. Mist the pan again with olive oil spray and return to set over medium-high heat. add the chicken. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 4 minutes, or until the chicken is browned on the outside and no longer pink on the inside. Add the salsa and the reserved vegetable mixture to the pan. Reduce the heat to low. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until warm.


Meanwhile, heat the tortillas in the oven for about 5 minutes, or until warm.


Unroll the tortillas and place one on a serving plate. Fill it with one-fourth of the filling. Place another one-fourth of the filling on the side of the fajita. Repeat with the remaining tortilla and filling. Serve immediately with cheese, sour cream, and/or avocado, if desired.


Makes 2 servings


Per serving: 254 calories, 32 g protein, 20 g carbohydrates, 4 g fat (less than 1 g saturated), 66 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 570 mg sodium

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great deck and bikes! and the cookies look amazing! can't wait to try one tomorrow night. we're looking forward to spending the night in your home! and fez can't wait to play with soooooookie. see you tomorrow! oh ps, the fajita recipe looks delicious!

Whitney said...

Um, can I have a fajita please? I'm a nice girl. I think I deserve one. Oh, and throw a cookie or two in there as well. For good measure.