Tuesday, April 14, 2009

LOL

Ha! I love to laugh! As I was laying in bed last night, my mind was wandering over some great times with my family this last weekend, and it occurred to me how much I had laughed. I'd say I give a chuckle here and there most days at the musings of my little junior highers, but rarely has anything set me into uncontrollable, eyes watering, can't even talk laughter recently!

My mom would always used to ask me to tell her stories to make her laugh while we were in the car, sitting at the coffee table, or just trying to pass time. It seemed that most always I delivered. I'm not sure if it was the stories that were so funny, or the delivery of them that made us crack up so hard.

One of her favorites was the Mr. Owens Story. My social studies and homeroom teacher in 5th grade was Mr. Owens. One day, he announced to us in homeroom that it was his birthday. We all ooohh, ahhh, and celebrated along with him, so when social studies came, his announcement seemed old news.

Being a 5th grader, I naturally tuned out what he was talking about until class started. I forgot to mention that the desks were lined up in horizontal rows facing him, and about 4 rows going to the back of the room. I sat in the front of the room, almost directly in front of the podium.

A few minutes into the lesson, the kid next to me taps me and hands me a birthday card. With great disgust and disappointment on my face, I grab the card, and quickly place it under my desk. Without wanting to draw attention to myself, I give Mr. Owens a few interested head nods to make him believe that I am still fast on his trail of knowledge with him.

I open the card under my desk and see that Kara Mclealan had signed the card, but again, much to my disappointment and disgust, I see that the nimwhit between us is not into the birthday festivities, and had not signed the card.

With a few more glances and nods to Mr. Owens, I quietly signed the card and secretly passed it to the person next to me. This person wispered, "are we supposed to sign this?" after he, too, took a quick glance at the card. In hushed tones I replied, "YES! YES!" and went back to looking interested in social studies.

About ten minutes later, enough time for the card to safely reach most of the class, Mr. Owens pauses his lesson to say, "I just want to thank Kara again for giving me such a great birthday card! I hope you all are enjoying reading it!"

"AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!" My face is red, panic sets in, I want to slide under my desk into oblivion (as I did most days). Why hadn't I been listening?! Of course he knew it was me who started the signing. Yes, no. I can never look him in the eyes again. Just keep your head down and make it through the rest of the day.

Whew. I never talked about that again until high school. On a late night of sharing a room with Allison, my guard went down. I was already taken over by a fit of laughter from our silly antics, when I found the ability to share this story for the FIRST time in 5 years! The next morning on the way to school, Mom wanted to know what all the rucus was about the night before. When I shared the story, we almost drove off the road. Mom was laughing so hard she was crying and could no longer see!

Now that I have shared one of my good stories, PLEASE tell me some of your funny stories, or times where you have laughed really hard! It's very rainy and dreary, and I just want to LAUGH OUT LOUD!!!

6 comments:

Caroline said...

oh golly!!! That is so funny!!

Anonymous said...

haha! that one is hilarious. one of the best stories. i also like the one where grandma fell off the log and pulled the tour guide into the river with her :) or where kendall tripped over her pigeon toe feet at the Dining Room in the Ritz Carlton when she went up to request a song from the pianist :)

mom said...

Ah, yes...Mr. Owens...praise the Lord, He has always kept my hand steady on the wheel when you have told the story while I was driving! I think the first time you told me that story...I was driving you and Alliosn out to the High School/Jr. High. As the "muffin meeske" said...all three of these stories are grand and YES, I think it is certainly in YOUR delivery of such story telling skills. Love, mom oxoxo

Kendall said...

I have a story! (i should really be reading but what is five more minutes in a study break right?) So when i was a freshman at UAH i always took the stairs. Living on the 4th floor i was doing my best to stay in shape. i was running down the stairs one day ahead of someone thinking it would be funny to pop out around a corner. They had no idea which one it would be seeing as it was a stare case with walls on each side. i hid in my place, giggling to myself at how funny it would be to scare the poor victim. i hear them get closer and just as they turned the corner, i grabbed their arm, yelled "WHAAAA" as loud as i could, just in time to realize it was not my friend, yet a poor, innocent, foreign exchange student who had snuck in the stair case after i had passed! The worse part is that when i scared him, he yelled out in Japanese... i felt so bad! By the time he passed and we got ourselves gathered together, we walked into the cafeteria and the entire table of foreign exchange students turned and looked at us...oh yea, they knew.

Amber said...

Hilarious. I too, laughed out loud.

tootie said...

that is hilarious! thanks for the laugh! :)