This is still my dream. This is what I am striving for.
This, however, is not entirely mom job yet. The wife thing, YES! And I love it! I want to continue working on being a fabulous wife for my amazing husband, and enjoy doing the things that make his life easier and make him smile.
But my job is teaching. It's kind of funny how God knows each of us so well. I believe that he wove me together in my mother's womb fully aware of my deepest dreams in my heart of hearts, and he had led me down a path of perfect practice.
I am a mother of 130. :D ...wait, that seems a little backwards!!! (God likes to smile on me :D)
I used to work as an executive assistant and receptionist. It was a job. I showed up, made my way through 8 hours, and left. Not that my purpose was not important, or that I did not take each day that I greeted families and children who had come to get their teeth clean as an opportunity to make their day brighter, but I didn't feel a whole lot of pressure.
As I was driving home today, I realized that my job is more of a lifestyle. My JOB is to train up these students in a way that helps them to succeed, become better people, and learn positive character traits. Yes, I hope they learn some art and creativity along the way, but I think everyday I just want them to have a good day...not all of them get that everyday.
My job often comes home with me, too. It's hard to leave work after having had a frustrating day with a student without dwelling on how to improve the situation for both of us. These kids are like my kids, and that is a lot of pressure sometimes.
I feel like my job really "matters." I know that sounds weird, but sometimes I am overwhelmed by the significance of leading these kids every day. I have a purpose, and it's BIG. It's the same purpose that I've always wanted, I'm just applying it to about 130 stranger's off spring! :D
I continue to anticipate the day that the Lord blesses me with fully fulfilling my dream, but in the mean time, I'm getting good practice. I am thankful for the lessons I have learned over the last 3 years, and can't wait to apply them to my own children!
8 comments:
Im a therapist and I feel the same way. What you do is fabulous and the difference that you are making in kid's lives will forever stay with them.
Thanks for what you do!
-Jen
That is well put.
I know exactly what you mean. Well, I only have 21 kindergarten students but I do love seeing them grow over the year I have them.
I am glad there are teachers like you out there! I pray that my future kids have a teacher like you!
Oooh, good post. Totally agree.
That is so true Kelly. Teaching is such a vital role of students everyday life. What a great impact you have on students!
Oh, my heart started beating a little faster there for a moment! HA! So true, Kel - God has put a teaching spirit in your heart and has blessed the kids that sit in your classroom with a teacher that loves to teach. I know one day, you will have a classroom much smaller than the one you have now - your home, with your own children - but in the meantime, God is doing a mighty work in and thru you!
and, i still hear your voice in my head whenever i do anything artistic, gently reminding me of my most important tool - a ruler. so while you time teaching may be limited, your lessons stick with your students for a lifetime. :)
And Kel, you are going to be SUCH an awesome mom... seriously. I cannot wait to see you with an Itty Bitty!
Post a Comment