Sunday, November 1, 2009

what ever happened to xanga?!

I love the blog world. When I was in college, Allison introduced me to Xanga, which I really didn' t have a need for at the time since I was still surrounded by all of my friends. After graduation, however, Xanga and Facebook were my lifeline to all of those great college friends, and eventually to Andy!

Back in Grad school, when I literally had 6 friends in the town with me (there is no exaggeration there!), I had plenty of time to creatively update my Xanga page. I would list Favorite Things, share amusing antidotes of my crazy life with Daisy, our family dog who had come to keep me company at Grad school, and fun little stories here and there of things that happened to me that I had no one to share with!

It was odd. I had a long list of readers and those who left abundant comments on nearly every pointless post I left! My most favorite commenter was Andy. I knew he was reading, and once his small town found out about me, they were reading to. They wanted to meet the girl that was pulling their little Andy to the north!! :) I loved this time!

Now, I am feeling less connected to Blogger. Although Blogger is offering me similar means to my goal, my move to this site seem only based on Keeping up with the Jones'.

I have had some fellow Xanga Alumni move along with me, however, my faithful readers seem to have drifted off somewhere. I actually think that most of them are still there, but nearly none of them seem to comment any more.

Don't get me wrong, I am probably in the Top 10 of Blogger and Facebook stalkers, and am proud to be! Isn't that why we're all on here?! So we can watch the lives of those we care about from the comfort of our own couches?

I say all of this to get to the fact that I am trying to find the purpose for this blog. My original goal was to combine the Xanga-ish ramblings of 2 faither bloggers into one- Mr. AND Mrs. Smith. OBVIOUSLY, this has NEVER happened. When I introduced this idea to the Mister over 2 years ago, his grunt-like, head-nod response should have been my first clue that this was not going to be the blog I had envisioned. And I was right.

My goal has seemed to be to keep our family and friends who are so far away, very much aware of our daily lives. Andy is extremely close to his family, and I didn't want them to think that I had stole him, and then left no sense of connection at all!!! I believe that this is still a big part of my purpose, but in the limited time that I have to blog, I still long for the Xanga days with a closer connection to those that I love to faithfully read about!

...Thanks for listening, if you made it this far :) There are so many new developments in my life right now, like trying to start up my own business, and be a fabulous housewife, that I want to find the right place for my blog. I want others to enjoy their trip to Mr. and Mrs. Smith, and leave feeling as though they had just be visiting us in our living room. ...I'll get there. One step at a time. That's what I'm going for these days!

6 comments:

Alison Mayes said...

I enjoy reading your blog even though we do not "know" each other!

Unknown said...

Kelly,
Love your blog, especially this post. I'm a long time lurker! And I actually know Andy! We went to FBC Zachary together. I'm not sure how I stumbled across your blog, so call me a faithful "lurker"! I know what you mean about blogging and wondering "Does anybody read this besides me?" I laugh and I say I blog for therapy, so if only i read it, ok. But, I do love your artsy blog and all of your artsy things...wish I was crafty!
Ashley

Amber said...

Hey girl, I too love reading your updates! And, I too wonder if I am just blogging to myself sometimes. But, I think it is such a great way to journal my life. I loved Xanga too, but I am able to blog more now in this stage of my life. Keep the updates comin!

Annikke said...

I read your blog but don't always comment. Sometimes I write something and think "THAT is too dumb" and I erase it and leave! But I always come back!

Sara Laverty said...

i still read!!!!!!!!!

Kelley said...

oh gosh! I have/had a xanga, and after that a live journal.

I was wondering if anyone else still knew about those!

http://red-angel84.xanga.com/