Kendall, Tucker, Pax and I picked up our supplies at JoAnn's, where I also experienced a poor example of man kind...but that story is for a different day :) Here are the supplies you'll need:
*paper doilies
*fabric or acrylic paint
*paint brush
*magazine/cardboard/or anything else to put in the bag to keep the paint from bleeding to the other side
*double sided tape
Now, for a tutorial within a tutorial!!! It's your lucky day!!!
Some of you might now be thrilled with your handwriting, or your ability to write/draw something and get it correct the first time! This is the tutorial for you!
Get on your computer and find a font that you like. Enlarge it to fit the general size of your doily circle and print it out. Once you've done this, flip your paper over to the back side and color over the letter using a pencil (if you have drawing pencils, use a 4B, 6B, or 8B because they give off the most amount of lead).
Next, flip it over, center your letter inside your circle space, and with a pen, trace over the front side of your paper.
Doing this pushes the lead from the back side onto your bag without you having to draw anything on your own! Neat, huh?! This trick works for many surfaces, so give it a try!
If you like your handwriting or want to play around with something, do it by hand! After that, all you have to do is paint in your letter!
Ta-Da! Gorgeous little tote bags!!! Here is Mom's:
This is Kendall's: She branched out with the color choice, and then wowed me with her monogram idea!
And this is my (probably slightly overworked) bag:
As a final tip, if you use regular craft paint, not fabric paint (I really don't think there's much difference), put your project in the dryer for about 20-30 minutes to set the paint. After that, you can wash it as much as you want!!!
This is a fun and easy craft! We were able to complete this within about an hour to hour and a half time WITH 2 nap-striking babies crawling around! :D So, kids would probably love this, too! Enjoy!
7 comments:
Love the bags! I can't wait to try this; thanks for the tutorial!
This is SO cute! And I've seen it done on the blog Mabel's House, but who knows if she found it somewhere, too. Kinda like your FB status the other day...are there really any NEW ideas out there anymore? ;) Anyway, thanks for the tutorial--super cute!
Ha! This was soooo fun! But you can tell by our faces that K and I were "first timers" at this! We were really concentrating...did't realize how much til took a gander at the pics! But, I love these bags and a great way to make a personal carry all for a little happy for a special friend. Thanks for the fun time! Good to be back and glad to have such a welcome home team with a delicous dinner ready! YUM! Love, mom oxoxox
SO cute! I want! Will you guys all come over to my house next so we can do some bags and other fun projects? Pretty please?
Very cool - definitely need to try this. They turned out great! Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do:)
I made these bags for my bridesmaids last year - I had so much fun, and they really seemed to love them!
Awesome bag! I am just catching up on all the blog posts I have missed. Happy Belated Birthday to Tucker. He is soo adorable and I love that we have boys so close in age! I really enjoy your blog and your family is so gorgeous!
Post a Comment