Monday, October 17, 2011

Words

Most of you are probably familiar with the Love Languages, and probably know how you give and receive love, as well as how your spouse does.  It was hard to narrow down mine (since I respond to almost all of them!), but Words of Affirmation is probably at the top, not that I wouldn't accept a gift or two every day ;) tehehehe

I've really been struggling for the last couple of months with feeling inadequate as a Mom and Homemaker...more of the Homemaker part of this.  Although I am home with Tucker all of the time, I really struggle with keeping up with the laundry and keeping the house clean.  It's like a perpetual cycle of getting everything picked up, put away, cleaned, and then the next day it's all back where it was before.

I feel like I am constantly either complaining to Andy or welcoming him home after a long day to a dirty house, cluttered space, and tired wife.  It seems unfair to him, and I have felt extremely guilty.  In my mind, expectations are extremely high.  Although he is not the ones setting those, I feel like I'm constantly letting him down. 

It really got to me last night...again...it happens a lot.  As I was going to bed feeling frustrated, I just cried out to the Lord, realizing that He was my only help.  I laid my fears and struggles at His feet in hopes of a complete transformation of my heart (not that that happens over night, but Praise the Lord that His mercies are new every morning!). 

When I got up this morning, I was thinking about how words of affirmation are so important to me.  I need people to praise me for what I'm doing, and really, that's a lot to put on another person, especially my husband.  Of course he praises me and compliments me on what I'm doing, but it never seems like enough-not because he's not doing it, but because apparently, my "word bank" is pretty big :/

Then it hit me.  How wonderful is it that God made an entire BOOK of words to help me!!!!  The bible is stuffed full of verses of encouragement, comfort, accountability, direction and guidance!!!  DUH!!!  I'm looking to the wrong person to fulfill my needs!  My husband is amazing, and showers me with love and praise, but that is never going to satisfy my soul!

I'm currently doing a Bible study of Hebrews, and am loving it.  I have to admit, though, that I have been afraid to put all of me into it because I'm afraid I'll fail.  I'm afraid I'll fail to act out what I'm learning, I'm afraid I won't be "good enough" once I learn more truths, and so I've been holding back.  I'm excited to dive into it now because I've clearly realized that I suck.  Me- on my own, by myself, I suck.  With HIM, though, I am beautifully and wonderfully made!!!  HE lives inside of me and HE wants to carry my burdens for HIS yolk is easy and HIS burden is light!!!

Now, for the life application part.  Clearly, I am a visual person.  SO my plan to live out Psalm 119:11- "Thy Word I have treasured in my heart, that I might not sin against you," is to plaster scriptures all around my house!!!  Pretty good decoration scheme, eh?!  As I dig in the word, I know that God will reveal to me those Words of Affirmation that He knows I need to feed my soul, but I'd also like to know what verses you cling to.

Please share with me some or all of your favorite verses- the ones that help you make it through each day, the ones you can't live without.  Thank you!  :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post! We are all inadequate my friend, but He is strength and our refuge.

Erin said...

Amen to this post!!! Thanks for writing, friend!

Susan J said...

Isaiah 26:3 You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast because he trusts in you.

Elizabeth said...

I have to remind myself of Colossians 3:17 very often. "And whatever you do, whether in word or in deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him" It's for His glory... not our own that we do the daily seemingly mundane and overwhelming tasks.

Karen said...

Hey Kelly! Love your honesty and you are right, staying focused on HIM is the only way! A verse I use a lot is Phil 4:8

Hope you have a wonderful week!