Sunday, October 11, 2009

Extraordinary Marriage

I am so thankful that God made Andy just for me. When we were dating, I used to always say, "you're perfect!" I meant this as a compliment, but he would always respond, "I'm not perfect, I'll let you down sometimes." I knew this to be true, since we're all human, but in my eyes he was perfect.

He has proved himself to be like fine wine since we've gotten married, and he's only gotten better with time (cheesy, I know!). The man never ceases to amaze and surprise me, and is very good at the whole "mystery" thing. I can't always figure him out, even know that we've been married for almost 2 1/2 years!!! Just when I think he's going to zig, he zags, and when I think he's going to zag, he does just to throw me off! (I know that's from some movie...).

Anyways, our small group is doing a marriage study right now, and we're into about the second week of it (we've divided it up more than that). The study is about creating a Plan for your marriage. Perfect, I know! I love plans!!!
I am learning so much about both myself, Andy, and our marriage through this study. We've both had some definate "light bulb" moments through it. At first we were a little confused about what this Plan was that they kept talking about. We're married, that's our plan!!! Then, it hit me in one sentence: "Is where you are now where you hoped you be one day?" Aaahhh, now that makes sense! We've had some great conversation that stemmed from that question.

In a later activity, we had to list our strengths from a word bank, and then answer this question: "How do you think your strengths serve to reinforce your marriage?" Again, another thought provoking question where I really had to look in the mirror and evaluate my role in our marriage.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I don't give anything to our marriage, but when I pair that question with the first it gave me a lot to look at! I usually consider cleaning, making healthy dinners, sticking to our budget, and preparing a happy, stress-free home for Andy to enter into after a LONG day my role. But I still feel I can bring more to the table with time.

This study has really been so fantastic for us, and encouraged us in so many ways! ...Back to that mystery man I mentioned earlier, Andy continued to surprise today!!! After venting less than loudly this morning about the state of the house, he cleaned the kitchen and did the laundry while I was helping Mom pick out shoes. He continues to be a true blessing to me and serves the needs of my heart daily.

I really recommend this study to any married couple! You'll learn a lot and grow closer to your spouse as you devise a life long journey plan for your marriage.
Last night we enjoyed a great evening in with some chili and this beautiful fire!

1 comment:

Amber said...

I've seen that study many times at Lifeway. I am glad to hear it is good. We will have to try it! We've been looking for a couples study. Thanks!