I guess I never really realized how weird I was about my bedtime routine until I got married. Well, now that's not entirely true. I was clued in a bit in college when my roomies would tease me for my bedtime attire.
I've always been a cold person. My core body temperature is probably at least 2 degrees lower than the average person, making blankets, sweats, and Uggs (NOT a snuggie) a necessity. Because of this, it irritates me to no end that when I'm trying to cocoon myself in my down comforter, that any movement would cause my pants to rise up my legs, leaving bare skin exposed to the cold elements. Unacceptable.
My solution: tuck my pants into my socks. Makes sense, and it wasn't like I was trying to meet a man (which definitely didn't happen anyways, until Andy-who fell in love with me before he knew about the whole pants/sock situation), so I didn't care. However, my roomies thought this was both unusual and hilarious, and again, the teasing! :D
All that to say that is only part of my bedtime routine...only when it's cold out. The other part is about the sheets and my pillows. Growing up, I'm sure I did the same thing every night, not thinking twice about my routine, and again, it wasn't until my husband pointed it out to me that I really started to notice it!
Bedtime is my favorite part of the day. I have an amazing ability to fall asleep about 20 seconds after I lay down, despite what else is going on in the room. Yes, lights on, TV on, people over, people talking...none of this phases me. However, before I meet this sweet slumber, things must be exactly so.
I spend a good bit of time before that 20 seconds sets in making sure that my pillows are positioned just so, and my head upon them as well. I also must have the sheet be evenly lined up with the edge of the comforter, and tucked in fully at the end of the bed. This just makes for less to deal with in the middle of the night, what with turning over and all. I go to great lengths to make sure that my bed situation is "just so" before I allow myself to drift off.
Unfortunately, this sometimes takes a while. I can fidget for up to 3 or 4 minutes if needed, and sometimes it is needed. See, my husband does not share my desire for "bed correctness" at any point during his sleep, meaning that my time is sometimes extended while trying to fix his side as well. He will often times fall asleep, or work his way in between the top sheet and the comforter...which is completely unheard of in any of my ideas of rest! It makes me crazy trying to untangle myself in the middle of the night from the entrapment he caused by laying on the sheet!!!
Anyways, now a days, I do whatever I have to to extend the most amount of rest in the night!!!
Anyone else understand where I'm coming from?! :D
7 comments:
As one of your college roomies, I MUST comment. Ha. :) I do love your bedtime routine - I was unaware of the sheet thing until now, but it makes sense! I loved knowing how close you were to going to bed by the status of your socks. It helped during my late night chat sessions ha ha! But really it does make sense as often times I find my socks in between my sheets and totally off and my pants all tangled up. Its a travesty! But....I agree - no need to be in between the top sheet and comforter(sorry andy!)!!
Love ya :)
You crack me up! I have to have three pillows: two king size and a giant body pillow. Love me some pillows! ;)
oh my goodness, you sound like me when talking about the 'correctness' of the sheet and quilt and pillow placement! i do understand.......and it is funny!
While reading your post I thought to myself..."I bet Sara said something about this!" Ahhhh, I love to be right! tee hee hee.
Anyways...reading your detailed description, I recall now...why your sisters never wanted to share a bed with you while traveling...I thought it was the bouncing and talking in your sleep thing...similar to Kendall...though Allison was a fairly solid sleeper...her teeth grinding did cause a bit of a hoopla! The socks and pant thing still cracks me up! Oh Andy...what a wonderful man. :D
As for the mops...the sheets MUST be cool...in temp...not so particular on design :D ...set the tv timer for 120 mins. hold the control in my left hand and ear plugs in the right and while contemplating whether or not to put the sound on mute and my earplugs in, I .......zzzzzzzZZZZZZ
I'm all about straight smooth cool sheets. I sleep with two pillows and much to my hubby's dismay I'm not a bed cuddler I need my space I cannot stand to sleep in socks although I hate it when my pants ride up and who sleeps between the sheet and comforter oh yeah wait my husband does the same thing ugh
The socks and pants routine is KILLING me. Not only does it sound hideously uncomfortable... but ah, so bulky. You are hilarious.
love this post. especially like imagining you telling the story in person, which would fully crack me up!
also, it 'cooled me down' to imagine wearing PANTS to bed and getting under the COVERS?! you sound like a lucky woman to me :) but ha!! tucking your pants into your socks is genius. me at night = bedtime lotion routine. i brush my teeth, wash my face, wash my feet in the bathtub, and get in bed. then i put my lotion on my feet and legs and get my pillows perfect... it's amazing what makes us happy at bedtime isn't it? :)
Post a Comment