Monday, November 3, 2008

Spirit Fingers!

Ok, I need your help! I am sponsoring the 7th grade Class Officers at my school. The goal for our group this year is to come up with ways to enhance school spirit! The guy who had done it in the past suggested a Valentines Dance, and the Candy-grams on Valentines Day as well. We will also be working on getting more students to attend the athletic events, such as the Basketball season coming up.

Now, let's remember that these are 7th and 8th graders. I wanted to try like "Spirit Friday" or something like that, when they can dress up in school colors for the day. They are also really into competitions, so anything they can do to compete against other class teams, or the 8th graders, they really get into.

Please leave me any great ideas that you have-either things YOU did in junior high or high school, or just something you think would be fun! Thanks!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK. I have 2 suggestions.
#1. go to www.asbdirector.com it is a student activities resource and if you go to the left hand side of the page, they have a middle school page.

#2. You could also do something where 8th graders wear one of the school colors and 7th grade wear the other. Just a thougth...you can spring board from there.

I never was a cool middle schooler...I just wanted it to be over! I didn't do any better as a mom of middle schoolers...in fact, I thought it was worse! So kudos to you Kel for taking this awesome task upon you. I know you will come up with something unique and awesome! What was that thing that John somebody did every friday in Allison's grade? Oh, yes...Harrison...he made stickers or spirit pins for everyone to wear every friday...probably is not what you are thinking of... but you have to take my thoughts as they come along. :D
Must go...se you in an hour. Love, mom xoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for a while and love it! Don't think I've ever commented though...
I'm not a middle school teacher (couldn't do it..ha!) but do teach elementary. I think the spirit day would be great! Could you also award a spirit stick or something based on how many students participate? What about short pep assemblies?
You might even start it all off with a spirit week...different dress up ideas each day.
I'm not very creative with things like this...sorry! Good luck though!

Annikke said...

I don't have any good ideas, but I like your idea of the spirit friday or even a spirit week. Wish I had more for you...sorry!

Lo said...

do spirit fridays!!!! when i was in high school we had these, and we had dress up days for spirit week, like 80's day... sports day.... stuff like that. it was a ton of fun to get dressed up!!!

you could do a balloon day too, where everyone pays like $1 for a balloon (the money goes to the school to pay for more spirit stuff, like candy days or something) and then the balloons are delivered to kids in class. or a candy gram day. there are a ton of different ideas!!

Anonymous said...

Lo had great ideas. you could make it a competition by saying whatever class has the most students dress up for a specific day or week gets a pizza party the next Friday. pizza always won us over...this was before i was homeschooled...although, i'm sure mom and i could have won any spirit week competition!
kendall

Sara Laverty said...

spirit fridays are a great idea! i love your mom's idea about having them dress up in one color. soooo fun!!!

Madison Sanders said...

I just found your blog. Maybe you can use these tips for next year. When I was in high school, we had Spirit Week, not just Spirit Day. One of our rivals was the Blue Devils, so we had Hunt down the Devils on Wed.(we would wear camoflage), Stomp the Devils on another day(we would wear boots), and so on. I think one day was Round up the Devils(we wore Western wear). On the day of the Homecoming game, we would all wear our school colors to support our team.

Another thing that my school started was "Dress for Success week." The guys could wear a suit and tie or khakis and a dress shirt, just no blue jeans. The girls could wear skirts, dresses, slacks, etc. One of the assistant principals would take individusl pictures of all the participants and hang it on a board in the hallway. At the end of the week, a group of judges(teachers and other personell) would pick a few winners. Those winners could come by the front desk and pick out a prize. Usually the prizes were Zaxby's giftcards, McDonald's gift cards, etc. Lots of people participated 1. They loved getting free stuff. 2. Everyone complemented them on how nice he/she looked. One guy even said he was going to continue putting on a suit because the ladies liked it so much. :)