Sunday, May 2, 2010

Prom '10

Last night Andy and I chaperoned the high school's prom!!! We headed about 1 1/2 hours away from home to the town that my Dad actually grew up in! I had a great time seeing all of the kids dressed up, looking sharp, and being on their best behavior!! The kids loved that Andy was there, and many of them came up to tell me how much they loved having him as a teacher! I am so proud of him! He even got out and cut a rug on the dance floor a few times!!!

As soon as I got there I felt a little self conscious about being "old." At first it was just the fact that I was pregnant at the prom, but the kids were very excited to see me, and asked many questions about when I was due, and what the baby's name was!

Next, I realized that I had not been aware in my few brief years away from formal social events that the attire for Prom had slightly changed from beautiful flowing ball gowns, to shorter versions of this same style of dress! There were tons of gorgeous dresses to look at, though, and teal seemed to be the color of the season!

Lastly, Andy and I stationed ourselves in front of a few doors that the kids were not allowed to go through, and it was right by the dance floor. It was nice having an up close and personal arena to people watch in. This is one of my favorite activities, and Prom is a perfect environment! Unfortunately, 2 things happened. First, we quickly realized that we did NOT want an up close and personal view of the type of "dancing" that was being displayed. This only lead to Andy claiming that we would be chaperoning ALL of our children's dances. :D Second, we failed to realize that the DJ's light show was positioned to point in our direction, and was lifted just enough that it was taller than the kids, but was flashing in our eyes enough to send me into an epileptic shock!!! By the end of the night Tucker was in a full out dance craze from the pounding music shaking the floor, and the rapid light show! :D

Afterwards, we headed to the After Prom, and then made it home around 3 AM. 3AM!!!! ...we slept in till noon :/ Again, more reasons why I feel old :D

When I awoke this morning, I had an overwhelming urge to make french toast!! When I was in high school and college, my Mom would make us french toast in the morning. I love this memory, and it always reminds me of wonderful morning conversations over coffee and looking outside to the gorgeous backyard.

I wanted to gift this experience to Andy today. Although french toast is not his breakfast of choice, he still let me make it for him while he did the dishes for me. What a man!!! :D
The french toast turned out delicious!!! I even made a little decaf coffee while we enjoyed our french toast and hilarious episodes of The Big Bang theory!!!
So, here's to a wonderful Sunday afternoon in my Pj's on the couch with my BFF!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That french toast looks yummy! Since I am a high school teacher I always wind up working prom. A bunch of us teachers get dressed up and go somewhere fancy to eat before. Its loads of fun. Hubs does not agree and usually begs to stay home.

Anonymous said...

3am! You should have worn your prom dress:).

Abby♥ said...

mmm that french toast looks amazingg!:)