Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Holiday Favorites!

We are now officially in the holiday season! I LOVE this time of year, and treasure the special things that only happen in this short month and a half! Here are some of my favorite things!

1. Christmas music! Per my sister's rigid "rules," I do my best to hold off on listening to this beautiful music until after Santa has crossed the screen on the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade! Although, this year, SHE cheated, and listened to it a whole week before!!! Gasp!

2. Christmas lights. I love driving through the neighborhood and seeing the twinkling lights in many different colors.

3. Reynold's Farm Equipment's lights and listening to The Polar Express in the car while drinking hot chocolate in our PJ's! This is a family tradition started a LONG time ago. It's a magical experience!

4. Christmas decorations, especially the tree. We have a list going on the inside of the tree box of who gets to put the angle on top! I also love seeing the stockings hang over the fireplace!

5. Hearing people say Merry Christmas, instead of Happy Holidays. It's just nice to hear others give kind greetings to one another!

6. Drinking hot chocolate. It's a yummy treat on those cold nights in front of the fire.

7. Doing Christmas shopping. I love picking out gifts that others will enjoy, with the anticipation of seeing their expression when they receive the gift!

8. Making Christmas cookies. When we were younger, my mom would make a gingerbread house, and we would all get to decorate it, then invite two friends over for a special dinner. Mom and Dad would be the servers, and we would get to eat in the dinning room in our fancy dresses! The gingerbread house was the centerpiece!

9. Laying out cookies for Santa. Santa always replied! He would leave us notes, and even leave his footprints on the floor!

10. The Christmas Eve service! I love singing Christmas carols in fellowship with other believers as we celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior! Then, at home, we read the Christmas story from Luke, and Mom reads the Santa book!

I love this time of year! Bring on the Christmas Cheer!

What are some of your Holiday Favorites?!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Definately the Christmas Eve service. I remember as a kid going to the Christmas Eve service with the family and then coming back and my mom would usually cook breakfast for us, egg casserole, cinnamon rolls, juice yum!! I am thinking about starting that tradition around here too:) Thanks for your post and I think we will have to come up to Reynolds with Sam, he would love it!

mom/mops/fiction writer said...

Cowboy Coffe Cake (I make it exactly like mother use to...but it just does NOT taste the same.) SNOW! Christmas Tree Lights...squinting. Singing "Silent Night" at the Christmas Eve Service with the candlelight ceremony...still makes me cry just to think about it. Stockings! Ball ornements...last year's was a doooozzzzeyyyy!!! Speck so! Christmas music. Cookies, wassel, fires in the fireplace...all day long! Did I mention SNOW?! The reading of Luke 2. Picture Christmas Cards..LOVE LOVE LOVE them. My display board is STILL empty...if anyone is reading this. :D My favorite thing about Christmas is family...buying presents for them, wrapping them and waiting for them to open them...and then...just being with all of my family...beside the birthday celebration of my Jesus...my family and spending time with all of them...is THE BEST!...speck so. Love, mom/mops