Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Crock Pot Gumbo

Have I ever shared my Crock Pot Gumbo recipe with you?! If not, here it is!!!

Being a northern girl, married to a southern gentleman, I was introduced to many foods that my delicate pallet had not been accustomed to. For example, crawfish. Yes, I did try it, but barely. I was brought to a crawfish boil AFTER Andy showed me these little holes in the muddy ground and said, "That's where the crawfish live."

GROSS!!!! However, being the adventurous woman that I am ;), I still broke open my crawfish and tried it! Not too bad, and I heeded the warning of thoroughly washing my hands before taking my contacts out for the night. Good advice :)

Anyways, I'm getting off track. Back to the Gumbo. I ran across this recipe years ago, and thought it sounded good. So, breaking out of my very limited menu, I gave it a shot. I prepared all of the ingredients, and stuck it in the crock pot before work. When I walked in the door at the end of the day, I was hit in the face with the warmest, most delicious smell of hearty gumbo!!!

Are your taste buds tingling yet?! Good! Here's the recipe! Serve it up over some warm rice and a side of corn bread, and people will be inviting themselves back over for dinner very soon!!!

Crock Pot Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup oil
3 cups water
12 ounces cooked sausage links, sliced
1/2 cups diced cooked chicken (from my weekly roast chicken)
2 cups sliced okra or 10-ounce package frozen okra
1 cup onion, diced (about 1 large)
1/2 cup green pepper, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
3 cups hot cooked rice

To make the roux, stir together oil and flour in a medium saucepan until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir constantly about 15 minutes more until it’s a dark, reddish-brown color. Cool.

Place water in a Crock Pot and add roux; stir. Add sausage, chicken, okra, onion, pepper, celery, garlic, salt, black pepper, and red pepper. Cover and cook on low heat for 6-7 hours, or on high heat for 3 hours. Skim off the fat, and serve over rice.


Let me know if you try it and what you think! :D

5 comments:

Jillian said...

I am always looking for great crock pot recipes. Thanks for sharing!!

By the way your header is sooo sweet. What a darling family.

Elizabeth said...

Sounds easy and yummy. I always love a good crock pot recipe, I may have to try it for my Northern Family:)

Annikke said...

When I was in my early 20's I was a live-in nanny for a family who was from Louisiana. They made Gumbo, Jambalaya, Red Beans and Rice... all that yummy spicy stuff. I have tried Gumbo before, and it didn't come out quite right. I am going to try your recipe! I can't wait!! Thanks for sharing it!!!

Kristin said...

Yum! I'll have to add this to my list of recipes to make :)

Kendall said...

I have made this before and I love it!! It was one of my first meals I made Luke when we got married and it was a big hit! I believe we substituted the chicken for shrimp and it was so delightful!