Tonight is our first child birthing class!!! I've been looking forward to this because I want to be "ready," but at the same time, I'm not sure I want to know everything they're going to tell me. I live most of my life with the moto "ignorance is bliss!" I'd rather just have to deal with some of the yucky stuff in the moment when I don't have anywhere else to turn! lol Although I still want to know how to do the breathing and coping stuff :)
Since we were running low on detergent, we thought we'd give it a try!!!! Ok, so here's what you need:The Soap: The most typical type of soap to use is Fels Naptha. It is an old-fashioned type of soap usually found in the laundry aisle. I found it at Kroger.
Washing Soda: This is not to be confused with baking soda. They are not the same thing. Washing soda is sodium carbonate or soda ash (baking soda is sodium bicarbonate). It is a white powder. Its purpose is to help remove dirt and orders. The brand to look for is Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. I find it in the laundry section of my grocery store.
Borax: Borax is a naturally occurring mineral: Sodium Borate. It is a white powder. It’s purpose is as a laundry whitener and deodorizer. The brand to look for is 20 Mule Team. It comes in a 76 oz. box. You should be able to locate this in the laundry detergent aisle. I found it at Target.
Homemade Laundry Soap
1/3 bar Fels Naptha or other type of soap, as listed above
½ cup washing soda
½ cup borax powder
~You will also need a small bucket, about 2 gallon size~
Grate the soap and put it in a sauce pan. Add 6 cups water and heat it until the soap melts. Add the washing soda and the borax and stir until it is dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups hot water into the bucket. Now add your soap mixture and stir. Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir. Let the soap sit for about 24 hours and it will gel. You use 1/4- 1/2 cup per load, depending on the size of the load.
A couple of tips!
~The finished soap will not be a solid gel. It will be more of a watery gel that has been accurately described as an "egg noodle soup" look.
~The soap is a low sudsing soap. So if you don’t see suds, that is ok. Suds are not what does the cleaning, it is the ingredients in the soap.
Since this soap is low sudsing, it works great in these new bad boys!
4 comments:
I'm with u on ignorance is bliss. I actually didn't take birthing classes...shhh don't tell anyone lol. I read about what was going to happen but beyond that I was good:) I was nervous when I was going in to labor though, I was like maybe I should have taken a class but it turned out ok:) hope u have a wonderful time in ur class! I saw on one of the duggars episodes they still take them lol.
I didn't take a single birthing class. I didn't want to know. I also planned on getting an epidural and didn't think I would be able to focus on breathing (properly) anyway. Ended up not mattering since I had an emergency C-section 5 weeks early. I did take the hospital tour because I like things like that. Thanks for the soap recipe and I'm glad it's low sudsing I have the same Samsung washer/dryer.
Have fun at your classes Kelly! That was one of my favorite parts of my pregnancy. I have been making my own laundry soap as well. I use the same ingredients that you listed, but I keep mine in the powder form. For me, it is less messy and less time consuming than to make it into a liquid.
Minor correction...we've figured it out to 1 cent a load! :) hehehe WHAT A DEAL!?!
Post a Comment